711 Burcham Apartments |
Spring Update 2021
Dear Reader, We wish you a wonderful Spring and Summer! East Lansing has been beautiful with its spring flowers and green leaves everywhere. We are sorry, though, to report that 711 Burcham Apartments is now fully leased until Spring 2022.
Fortunately, there are many other places still available and we hope you soon find one that you like. Regarding our website, if you find yourself needing another place next year, you may still find it helpful to review it. It is written differently than most websites are and can give you a sense of how we take care of our residents. For now, we wish we could accommodate many more and, again, we wish you well.
Abe and Carmen Cuddeback
What follows explains why we believe 711 Burcham
Apartments is the best choice for many Grads
First: Some pleasing features at 711 Burcham Apts
Next: Very interesting details plus things about us you
probably do not expect
- Wi-Fi Internet is Included
- Interest on your Security Deposit if no deductions
(Our experience? Most residents qualify)
- Why our Late Marketing helps both Incoming Grads and Current Residents: (More Below)
- Our Dwelling is Quiet (Especially Good for Grads!)
- It's a "Smoke-Free" Environment (A well-accepted change we instituted several years ago!)
(Check these out. They tell who we really are and
how well you would be treated if you were a resident.)
1. Why Our Leasing Starts Late:
Most of our residents are grad students, whom we like. So, why does that make us start marketing in late January or early February and not September before that? Well, we are always pleased with inquiries before January, but the delayed start is because many grad students don't confirm their plans until late in the year and only then need a place to stay. In addition, some current residents also don't know their plans until later; so, we make sure they can continue with us before we begin new leases. Basically, we do it the way we do because we believe that fair dealing is the key to successful relationships. We don't plan to change that strategy.
Even though leasing does begin late, we keep a call-back list of those who contact us early and we contact them promptly when leasing begins. Either way, we know there will be attractive apartments still available after the early callers, so, please contact us whenever you find yourself looking for a place.
2. Regarding that Security Deposit Interest:
Yes. We pay interest on the Security Deposit as long as there are no deductions. This is why: We realize that the Security Deposit is the resident's own money. We hold it during the lease only to cover any resident responsibilities at the end of the lease. If the Deposit had been banked by you, the resident, it would have earned a modest interest. If there are no deductions, we think it should also work that way for you at 711 Burcham Apartments. And, we believe that our approach has worked well for both sides.
How many departing residents get the interest? Most of them. We don't just "talk the talk". We "walk the walk".
3. What About the Wi-Fi?
It's available in all apartments. We have done our best to make it high-quality with broad bandwidth.
This is how it's developed: We first offered free Wi-Fi more than eight years ago and learned very soon that everyone wants more bandwidth. Because of that, we soon doubled the bandwidth twice and increased the number of wired transmitters. Two summers before last we were able to bring into the building a dedicated high speed fiber-optic line, something previously unavailable, which has more than doubled bandwidth, again. The Wi-Fi works well now but, in an attempt to keep up with progress, we are trying to determine if there is any feasible way to retrofit each apartment with a dedicated fiber-optic line. No decision about that at the moment, but it is on our "wish list"
4. Details confirm we provide things you probably expect:
How do we know 711 Burcham Apartments is a Quiet Building? This way: because almost all residents are grad students, they are professional and focused on learning their fields. In addition, the "Rules and Regulations" help clarify residents' responsibilities and offer sensible guidelines; so, the rare times we have learned about problems, they have been resolved favorably for all.
The apartments are comfortable, spacious, well-furnished, each with one-bedroom, and they are competitively priced. At about 725ft 2 floor space, each apartment is nearly three times larger than city code requires.
5. Upgrades over the past few years:
- Heat is included (it is not costly electric heat)
- There is plenty of parking for every apartment.
- A coin laundry is available for residents.
- We are on the city bus line.
- All upper level apartments have balconies.
- Among other furnishings, there are dressers, desks, living room furniture and lamps.
- Kitchens have dishwashers, disposals, ranges, and refrigerators.
- Most residents personalize their apartments. The interior views show items we provide as well as resident enhancements.
- The building is well-constructed, kept in good repair, and has always met the East Lansing Housing Code.
- We are easy to talk to and we respond personally to questions and worries.
New dishwashers, disposals, ranges and range-hoods; New bathroom vanities, sparkling new kitchen cabinets with new fixtures and new Pella windows; Even a new boiler before that (who thinks about boilers, anyway?) And, recently, new vertical blinds in all apartments.
The latest? It's new toilets. Toilets? Yes. They have improved, too. The new ones are more environmentally friendly and have a much more efficient "flush engine".
We like to keep up and we plan to do more this year.
6. We have deep ties to MSU and have long enjoyed our good relationships with residents.
So, that's it. We think you will like us and encourage you to call with questions. We would be glad to offer you a tour and we would be pleased to hear from you. Thanks for checking us out.
Have a great spring and, of course, Stay Safe!
Abe and Carmen Cuddeback